Art and Technology
We provide an enviable breadth of subjects within the faculty including Art and Fine Art, photography, design technology and resistant materials, catering, textiles, and graphics. Our subjects enable students to develop a sense of curiosity and understanding about the world around them. We have developed a curriculum that encourages all students to explore ideas, experience a range of materials and techniques, build confidence and independence in developing ideas and outcomes, and develop knowledge of historical and cultural significance.
Our Art curriculum will;
Allow students to develop skills in a broad range of materials and techniques, develop confidence and express themselves creatively.
- Provide students with the opportunity to become independent problem solvers and with the confidence to attempt anything new.
- Introduce students to a wide range of cultures and viewpoints, opening their eyes to a different way of seeing things.
The Technology department aims to develop a curriculum which:
- Allow students to experience a wide range of skills, materials, and techniques.
- Encourages students to be inspired by what has gone beforehand and develop a curiosity to learn and explore.
- Enable students to refine practical skills to take them into the future.
- Provide an opportunity to become independent learners and problem solvers.
Art, Design and Technology are a vital part of every child’s education, providing students with opportunities to develop a range of ways that they can share and express their individual thoughts and ideas, whilst learning about and making links with a broad spectrum of art and design in our society. Art, Design and Technology contributes to our students’ personal development in creativity, independence, judgement, and reflection.
Students are introduced to genres of Art and Design, providing a contextual theme and links to specific practitioners. Students are shown the media, skills and knowledge linked to the theme. Lessons are built around the creative process; taking students from initial theme or concept, through idea development and onto final outcomes and presentation. Effective forms of assessment are layered throughout our projects to help students progress over time.
The knowledge and skills developed through studying Art, Design and Technology will equip individuals to pursue careers in the art, design, and catering world, as well as supporting roles outside of the creative industry.
If students opt to study Art, Photography, Textiles, Graphics, Hospitality and Catering or Product Design at GCSE and/or A Level, they will continue to work using this approach. Students will develop skills in critical and analytical thinking, as well as reflective practice.